Monday, January 17, 2011

Now what?

I've decided I need a whole cupboard full of these. Sorry Nipper Knapp.

I don't want to say that my life is now complete. But I'm pretty sure my living room is... Never mind that I've just started a closet overhaul (we don't actually have a closet in our room, just armoires...), haven't finished Kary's quilt, need to clean my office, because 1 year later, I STILL haven't posted pictures, and oh yeah, I'm cooking a baby. 

Now that I look at it, that thing holding the dvd player and playstation could use and update. (again, sorry Nipper Knapp)

BUT, my rug problems are finally solved! I have been lamenting the fact that I waited too long to buy my dream rug at Anthropologie and it sold out. My stepmother gave me a gift card for my birthday last year, and for Christmas, and my mother gave me one for Christmas too. I was planning on saving them up, making myself take a couple of headshot jobs in my lazy state of pregnancy couchdom, and then voila, free rug! But like I said, it sold out. I found it from another supplier in Georgia, but it was $600 more. And I didn't have any gift cards for that store, so basically it was completely unaffordable. 


How perfect is it with my Amy Butler upholstered chairs!

SO today, it's 82 degrees, and sunny, and all the windows are open, and I'm pacing around the house like a crazy person because it's so nice outside I don't know what to do with myself, and Nipper basically tells me to get out, not because I'm making him crazy, I'm sure. Just wanted me to enjoy the day. Right. I tell him I'm heading for The Container Store where I'm going to plan our our Elfa system for the closet I'm fixing to make in our room. But I've got these gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, so I think, I'll just stop at Anthropologie quickly and pick up four of those pretty green latte bowls. They're only $5 a piece, and I mean, I'm too pregneto to buy dresses, what else am I going to do with the gift cards now? 


And with the crewel pillows I got out of the sale room last year!


I wander in, pick out my bowls and head back to the sale room (force of habit). Just as I round the corner, I get a text from our nanny "Jack has a little fever, can you come pick him up?" They were at a local playground. But I just saw him an hour ago and he was FINE! At the exact same moment, I see them. A pile of GIANT rugs on the floor of the sale room. Sophie's Choice... Ok, I can do this. I haul the first one out of the pile and spread it across the tiny sale room floor. I'm already sweating. I text the nanny that I'll be right there. I haul another one out and spread it on top of the other one. Neither of them are the one I was looking for, but one of them is one that I had said I would settle for. It's called the Festival Rug. The other one actually has more of our colors in it, but the background is forest green, and I decide I can't live with it. Plus, I kind of like everything to look like crazytown. I fold them both back up as neatly as possible, never mind they weigh 10 tons a piece, and haul the first one, my four latte bowls, wallet, phone, and keys, up to the register. 


I heart my new rug!


Did I mention it was HALF OFF! OMFG! Basically what that means is that it's free. I have enough in gift cards to pay for it, and the latte bowls. I just paid the tax. SO now, I'm paying, and the girl is fiddle faddling around with it, trying to fold it up neatly and wants to put it in a bag, and feel like shouting "FEVER, FEVER, MY CHILD HAS A FEVER!!!" But then that wouldn't be fair, since I'm the jerk who chose a sale rug over my sick child. it reminded me of that scene in "Love Actually" where Mr. Bean is wrapping and wrapping the necklace for Alan Rickman's girlfriend, and he's afraid his wife will come along and find him. Except this girl wasn't Mr. Bean, she was more like Edie Brickell or Janis Joplin, but fastidious. 


I'm dragging my crewel work elephant out of the store and the alarms go off, and the very nice girl at the front, very nicely directs me back to the cash wrap, where neatnik Janis Brickell, who just folded my rug for 3 hours, says, "hum, I wonder if there's a hard tag on that?" Did I murder her? No. I told her, I'd be happy to bring it back if I found one, but I was pretty sure I didn't see one when we were folding it, and I had to run. That didn't seem suspicious I'm sure. RUN! Did I ever tell you guys the story of the Easter Sunday stolen lobsters? Remind me sometime.


I dragged the titanic back to the front door and out to my car. I drove at break neck speeds to the playground, where the nanny then texted me that Jack had fallen asleep. You mean I could have shopped more?!?!?!  Just kidding. A little. I was only 15 minutes later than I would have been...tops...don't judge. He's fine by the way. One hour of laying in bed watching scooby doo, snuggling with mommy, and he's a-okay. Not really, he does have a fever, but not too bad. Sue me. 


5 comments:

  1. looks great! can't wait to see it live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so this is not meant to be one of those back handed compliments but that is usually how I come off....anyway, I never in a million years would have given that rug a second look in the store BUT I can't believe how awesome it looks. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon your blog and I have to ask where is your living room chair from? I am in LOVE with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly,

    The chairs were my grandmother's and I had them recovered in Amy Butler's Coreopsis fabric. Glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete