Saturday, October 31, 2009

PRETTY! I'm just trying to get a fix...

Ok, so I'm kind of a Christmas junkie. I start listening to old timey Christmas music sometime mid-summer. I don't subject Nipper to it until mid-October, which is two months too soon for him. But it makes me happy in an immediate way. It makes me nostalgic and hopeful, and I don't care who knows it. I even made a Pandora station that only plays Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, and The Rat Pack singing Christmas carols. Pandora is kind of the greatest thing that ever happened to me (after Nipper and Jack and the soy gingerbread latte at Starbucks that also comes but once a year).


I was on Anthropologie this morning looking for those owl towels, so I could copy the embroidery pattern onto the towels I got at Ikea for Sadie (terrible, awful, cheap unethical, going to hell). I saw that they had their holiday stuff in. Yippee! I look forward to this stuff all year. I'm like an addict who only gets to get high one month out of the year. The other 11 months, I'm just sick, and trying to maintain. Also, I'm sure much to my mother's chagrin, none of this has anything to do with Jesus. Or not much at least. It's more about the feeling of it. The twinkly lights, the smell of the tree, and the cinnamon in everything, wrapping presents, giving presents, scotch tape. I once wrapped all of my friend Mike's presents for him one year, just because it made me happy. I'm more generous in spirit at Christmas time. I don't look at other people and sigh as much. It's powerful stuff.


So Anthropologie... I have a pretty great collection of ornaments, but no tree topper. Those angels seem too something or other for my taste, and those weird finial dealies are just uhm, too violent for my lovely tree. So I'm always looking for something clever to put up there each year. I keep thinking I'll just make a tin foil star like the kind you'd have made in elementary school.







Well, ladies and gentleman, I found this beautiful little nest at anthropologie, and had an Etta James AT LAST moment, until my eyes rolled over the price. THREE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY NINE DOLLARS! Did Barack Obama make it? Damn you to hell Anthropologie.


So you know what's coming right? I'm going to make one just like it. Now I wonder where I can buy silver floss like that. hmmm. Pictures coming "soon".

No comments:

Post a Comment